Picture © JEP/ LMC
What happened in Portimão
LMC - 04/11/2019
- Sophie LIGER
The Portimão round, the last of the 2019 season, was action packed. Here are the highlights of the thrilling finale in Portugal:
- Kessel Racing took their second consecutive GT3 title in Michelin Le Mans Cup and won an invitation to the 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans in the LMGTE Am class.
- After starting from last on the grid, Sergio Pianezzola, at the wheel of the n°8 Kessel Racing Ferrari, took the lead of the GT3 class after only one lap.
- DKR Engineering was crowned LMP3 2019 champion for the third time in a row. Since the introduction of the LMP3 class in the Michelin Le Mans Cup, DKR Engineering is the only team to have won the title.
- On his debut in Michelin Le Mans Cup, Rob Wheldon, alongside Alex Kapadia, won the Portimão round driving the n°14 RLR MSport Ligier JS P3
- Ross Gunn, at the wheel of the n°99 Beechdean AMR Aston Martin Vantage, scored both the GT3 Circuit Best Laps during the Free Practice 2 (1:43.126), as well as the Circuit Race Record with a lap in 1:43.420.
- During the race, the best top speed was set by Colin Noble that was caught at 274.8 km/h in the speed trap with the n°2 Nielsen Racing Norma M30. In GT3, Ross Gunn was the fastest with a top speed of 270.7 km/h.
- Only one car did not finish the Portimão Round, the n°74 Cool Racing Ligier JS P3