At the chequered flag it was the no3 DKR Engineering Norma of Alex Toril who crossed the line to claim the second victory in a row for himself and Jean Glorieux, with 25 points extending their lead of the championship as the series heads to Le Castellet next month to start the second half of the season.
Debut Win for Ebimotors with Maximum Points in Austria
The no46 Ebimotors Lamborghini Huracan of Emmanuele Busnelli and Fabio Babini scored maximum points in Austria with a win from pole position at the Red Bull Ring. The 26 points mean the Italian team move into the championship lead in both the team and driver title races.
- No44 SPV MotorSport Ligier of Alvaro Fontes leads at the start from pole position ahead of Jean Glorieux in the no3 DKR Engineering Norma.
- Lap 2 Glorieux passes Fontes for the lead and immediately opens up a 2 second gap to the rest of the field.
- GT3 battle for lead between no46 Ebimotors Lamborghini of Emmanuele Busnelli, no5 RAM Racing Mercedes of Tom Onslow-Cole and the no75 Optimum Racing Audi of Flick Haigh is close with the three cars split by less than 1.5 sceonds.
- No79 Nielsen Racing Ligier of Tony Wells passes no44 Ligier for 2nd place on lap 7
- No14 RLR M Sport Ligier of Alex Kapadia moves up to 5th from 18th on grid by lap 8 and is pushing on. Collision between no14 and no65 Graff Ligier at Turn 3 earns Kapadia a warning flag for dangerous driving but both cars continue.
- No99 N’Race Ligier of Alain Costa spins off into the gravel from 4th place at T4 bringing out the first Full Course Yellow of the race. The no99 Ligier is recovered to the pits where the car rejoins one lap down.
- At the restart the no5 Mercedes gets a better run and Tom Onslow-Cole takes GT3 lead by passing the no46 Lamborghini.
- Alex Kapadia in the no14 Ligier also gets a good run at the restart and moves into second place ahead of the no79 Nielsen Racing Ligier of Tony Wells.
- No9 Duqueine Engineering Ligier of Joel Janco is slow on track. Recovered to pitlane but never rejoined the track with an unknown technical issue.
- As the pitstop window opened the no3 Norma was 3.4s ahead of the no14 Ligier. The gap between the leading GT3 car, the no5 Mercedes, and the second placed car, the no46 Lamborghini, was 20 seconds.
- After the pitstop window had closed the no3 DKR Engineering Norma of Alex Toril was leading the no14 RLR M Sport Ligier of Ross Warburton by 14 seconds.
- The no5 RAM Racing Mercedes rejoined the track in the lead of the GT3 class after the pitstops with Remon Vos at the wheel but the Mercedes was in a collision with the no33 Ibran Pardo Javier Ligier which left the Mercedes with a punctured rear left tyre which forced the Dutch driver into retirement. Vos received a suspended post race penalty for causing the collision.
- The no33 Ligier was stuck on the apex of the first corner and the second Full Course Yellow was called to allow the car to be recovered.
- The no14 RLR M Sport Ligier was given a 3 second stop go penalty for a short pitstop. Ross Warburton served the penalty and rejoined in 6th place.
- Fabio Babini leading the GT3 class in the no46 Lamborghini 14 seconds ahead of the no75 Optimum Racing Audi R8 of Joe Osborne.
- Osborne receives a stop go penalty 25 minutes before the end of the race for constant abuse of track limits.
- The no75 Audi comes in to serve the penalty and Osborne emerges alongside the no95 Spirit of Race Ferrari of Maurizio Mediani. Mediani moves into second place and pulls ahead of the Audi.
- At the chequered flag it is the no3 DKR Engineering that takes the win, 13.5 seconds ahead of the no79 Nielsen Racing Ligier of Colin Noble. The no65 Graff Ligier of Emilien Carde takes the final podium position 65 seconds behind the lead car.
- Fabio Babini takes the chequered flag to win the GT3 class in the no46 Ebimotors Lamborghini Huracan in 8th place overall. The no95 Spirit of Race Ferrari of Maurizio Mediani and Christoph Ulrich was second, 15.7 seconds behind the leading car and 8.8 seconds ahead of the no75 Optimum Racing Audi of Joe Osborne and Flick Haigh.
The next round of the 2017 Michelin Le Mans Cup will take place on Saturday 26 August at Le Castellet in France.
for the result from Round 3 at the Red Bull Ring